History

History of our chapter…

The Eta Beta chapter of Kappa Kappa Psi began as a Virginia Tech colony in November 1974. Out of 50 interested people, only four were dedicated enough to follow through with the plan to begin the honorary band fraternity. Eta Beta’s first constitution was written by brother Mike Russell in April 1975 and was accepted in July of that same year by the university.

Pylons

The Virginia Tech colony petitioned for national membership in the fall of 1975, and on April 3rd, 1976, representatives from the Zeta Psi chapter at Virginia State College installed our colony as the Eta Beta chapter. The Eta Beta chapter became the 170th chapter of Kappa Kappa Psi to be installed. The Charter Members were:

    Larry Bates
    Fred Gibson
*  Steve Bulgreen
*  Gary Heath
    Ed Cannon
*  Joe Powell
    Randy Clark
*  Mike Russell
    Scott Donaldson
    Paul Willard

Roger C. Heath
(Honorary Chapter Member)

 


 

The Eta Beta chapter had the honor of being mentioned in the Spring 2016 installment of The Podium.

“The band members at VA Tech had been a colony waiting for two years to form. What is significant is that the two years was also the age of the newly formed ‘Marching Virginians’.” [1]

 

 

 

 


Virginia Tech History

© University LibrariesVirginia Tech’s history began in 1862 with the Morrill Land Grant Act, which provided for the establishment of an agricultural and mechanical arts college in every state offering scientific and classical studies as well as military tactical training programs. In accordance with this act, money was allocated by the Virginia State Legislature for the founding of what is now Virginia Tech. Blacksburg, the site of the Preston and Olin Institute was the chosen location, due largely to the efforts of Institute trustees Dr. Harvey Black and the Rev. Peter Whisner.

On October 1, 1872, the Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College of Blacksburg opened with 43 students, a president, two faculty, a librarian, and the one academic building of the former Preston and Olin Institute.

In 1896, Chicago Maroon and Burnt Orange were selected as the school colors and “Ut Prosim” (“That I May Serve”) was adopted as the motto. The school was all military until 1940, when it was opened to civilians. In 1944, Radford Street Women’s College merged with Tech to become Radford College, women’s division of Tech. At the same time our name was shortened to Virginia Polytechnic Institute. In 1970, our name was changed to Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.

Virginia Tech now has eight academic colleges. The colleges are: Agriculture and Life Sciences, Architecture and Urban Studies, Liberal Arts and Human Sciences, Business, Engineering, Natural Resources, Science, and Veterinary Medicine. Virginia Tech has been served by 15 presidents since its founding and is now lead by President Timothy Sands.

 


[1] Bratcher, N., Ed. D., & Willard, P. A., II. (2016, March 23). 1976 to 2016: 40 Year Reunion. The Podium. Retrieved April 6, 2016, from https://issuu.com/the_official_podium/docs/podiumspring16-web/c/sp206y6